12 Principles of Self-Reliance
The Lord has declared, “It is my purpose to provide for my saints” (D&C 104:15). This revelation is a promise that the Lord will provide temporal blessings and open the door of self-reliance. He has also declared that “it must needs be done in [His] way” (D&C 104:16). To receive the blessings of self-reliance, we must accept and live the principles of self-reliance, which include the following:
- Exercise Faith in Jesus Christ (D&C 104:15)
- Use Time Wisely (Alma 34:32)
- Be Obedient (D&C 130:20–21)
- Manage Money (D&C 104:78)
- Work: Take Responsibility (D&C 42:42; 2 Nephi 2:16, 26)
- Solve Problems (Ether 2:18–19, 23; 3:1, 4)
- Become One, Work Together (Moses 7:18; D&C 104:15–17)
- Communicate: Petition and Listen (D&C 8:2)
- Persevere (Hebrews 12:1; D&C 58:4)
- Show Integrity (Mosiah 4:28; Job 27:5; Articles of Faith 1:13)
- Seek Learning and Education (D&C 88:118–119)
- Stay On Task, Receive Ordinances (D&C 84:20; D&C 136:4; 1 Nephi 18:2–3)
Self Reliance - including home repairs, financial stability, dutch oven cooking, alternative cooking options, etc.
I grew up in a home where self-reliance was the expectation. My parents were incredible examples of determination and commitment. When I was a teenager, my mother determined the old couch was past its prime - so she learned how to reupholster and did the entire job herself.
With the internet, we have so much information at our fingertips. I'm thinking, if we can read, we can do anything.